README: Network Organizing Branches & Communities of Practice

The Network Organizing Branches are a proposed volunteer-powered governance structure for the Network at-large. The structure (i.e. branch names and purpose) and activities of the branches will evolve as the needs of the Network evolve. Simply put, the Branches should provide resources, opportunities, and other content that will support the development and success of Brigades and Brigade members.

In general, each branch consists of:

• Working Groups: that will be accountable to carry out the activities specified in each Branch Charter, including branch governance, resource delivery, etc.

• Communities of Practice (CoPractices): that will form in response to volunteer interest and wrap branch activities in wider volunteer communities

• Public events: Public events will share meaningful output of branch activities and relevant programming with all Network members and partners

• An open-source resource repository that will be accessible to any Network member.

How to Participate

• Working Group Member Nominations: Nominate Working Group (WG) members for each Branch - These folks will be the trailblazers for a new Volunteer-led, Volunteer-staffed governance structure.

• Projects Branch Charter Draft Feedback: A draft of the Projects Branch Charter is available for review and comments. This Charter is meant to serve as an example for Nominated Trailblazers / Working Group members to consider for development of other Branch Charters.

Have recommendations or proposed changes for Branches, Branch Charters, or CoPractices? Email Sung Kim (Associate Director of Communities of Practice) at skim@codeforamerica.org and/or reply in thread below!

1 Like

CoPractices could go in a lot of fascinating directions! I believe the right thing to do at this time, though, is to make them back-to-the-basics communities around Brigade organizing and operational practices, even if it is not the most interesting. I think we need to be realistic about the extent to which the pandemic has disrupted the Brigades. It would be easy to be distracted by things that would have been the perfect icing on the cake in 2019, or even 2021. Find the (re)builders and bring them into community with one another. With hard work and good fortune, the Network will be ready for the fancier parts of this plan in a year two.