[September 30] September Workshop: Theory of Change

The September Brigade workshop will be held on Wednesday, September 30, at 7 pm Eastern / 4 pm Pacific.

For our September workshop, we’re hosting a conversation/working session on on defining a Theory of Change for the Code for America Brigade Network. Meredith Horowski, Senior Director of the Brigade Network, and Ben Trevino, Co-Chair of the National Advisory Council, will lead a conversation aimed at defining how the Brigade Network drives social change in the communities we serve.

Register for this event today!

Check out the video recording of this event

4 Likes

Followup Items from Workshop:
Slides
Pol.is
Pol.is Report

Feedback from the first iteration of the pol.is was to:
(1) Discourage AND statements. Avoinding and makes agreement or disagreement clearer
(2) Guide the creation of statements from the network with prefixes:

• "My brigade…" (to express things your brigade CURRENTLY DOES)
  • "I want my brigade to…" (to express desires or goals YOU have for your local brigade)
  • "My brigade has said they want…" (to express desires or goals you have heard expressed by OTHER VOLUNTEERS in your local brigade)
  • "I believe…" (to express relevant beliefs about brigades and civic tech work)
  • *“Our community needs a brigade because…” (to express the value of a current or proposed brigade to your community)

This was the Original Pol.is language and its update. (it is being modified to focus on prefix and statement guidance)

As a network, we want to deepen our understanding of what DRIVES your brigade. What have those motivations allowed you to accomplish?

Some things we know: Appetite for advocacy and guidance on parameters / Desire for more national projects / Need for easy ways to plug in new volunteers and request volunteers / Direct support of gov is time, relationship, and trust intensive / Onboarding new members is time-intensive; turnover due to lack of engagement opportunities.

We want to act (together) on all of these things, but first, we want to build a shared foundation of basic ideas, lessons, values, motivations, that cause us to converge on the above. This pol.is is one input to a 3 month conversation that will progress through Brigade Congress (https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/brigade-congress-2020) and then through the end of the year.

Our hope is that EVERY SINGLE VOLUNTEER has a chance to weigh in before (or during Brigade Congress). Please spread the word!

NOTE FOR NON-BRIGADE AFFILIATED VOLUNTEERS: Feel free to use “pass/unsure” if you feel a question does not apply to you.

UPDATED Language

As a network, we want to deepen our understanding of what DRIVES your brigade. What have those motivations allowed you to accomplish?

This pol.is is one input to a 3 month conversation that will progress through Brigade Congress and then through the end of the year. Our hope is that every single volunteer has a chance to weigh in before (or during Brigade Congress). Please spread the word!

Note for non-brigade affiliated volunteers: YOU ARE WELCOME HERE! Feel free to use “pass/unsure” if you feel a question does not apply to you.

Tips:

Avoid multi-part statements or statements that use the word “and”

Use these prefixes for adding statements

• “MY BRIGADE…” (to express things your brigade currently does)

• “I WANT MY BRIGADE TO…” (to express desires or goals YOU have for your local brigade)

• “MY BRIGADE HAS SAID…” (to express desires or goals you have heard expressed by other volunteers in your local brigade)

• “I BELIEVE…” (to express relevant beliefs about brigades and civic tech work)

• “OUR COMMUNITY NEEDS A BRIGADE BECAUSE…” (to express the value of a current or proposed brigade to your community)

1 Like

@bentrevino, would you post the pol.is results link? Thanks for doing this; I think Polis a great way to collect answers to these questions.

Aloha @Micah, thanks for the interest and sorry for the delay!

Here are the detailed results:

Also stay tuned – @tim and I are looking to iterate and release an updated pol.is and process to build on what we learned from this one!

2 Likes