Open Collective Foundation as a brigade fiscal host—Ask OCF staff anything!

Makes sense and thanks for clarifying. I was not considering combining groups into a single collective. I just thought they could (recursively) nest, but I think I made that up misremembering from when I first read about the distinct hierarchical layers of orgs, collectives, etc, which are not nested entities of the same type (collectives), but actually have distinct functions.

Hi @openmike, how hard is it to change an OC name (and sub-domain) after it’s fiscally hosted (with OCF)? Has anyone tried? For example, would we have to clear the new name with OC and regardless, would we have to resign paperwork under the new identity?

I’ve changed name and sub domains a couple times in drafting our account details without a fiscal host yet, but it’s gonna take a while before we decide the name we want to use and I would like to get OCF approved before that’s finalized. We may even need to transfer our funds before we can do a full rename discernment process across our community. It would give us a lot of peace of mind if we could transfer funds soon knowing we could change our name (and subdomain) later whenever we were ready to make it permanent.

Hi Mike,

(this post has been revised to show the answers I found by searching the https://docs.opencollective.foundation/) and this discourse thread. Please read the whole thing before answering (to save everyone time).

Thanks for joining us on this thread.

Insurance~
Q: Does Open Collective provide insurance coverage to its projects?
Specific concern: indemnity insurance for

• Brigade leadership
  • volunteers

A: Liability Insurance - Open Collective Foundation

In-Kind donations
Q: Nonprofits are eligible for a variety of in-kind donations. AWS offers a $1 000/annual credit to nonprofits. Does Open Collective have a way of passing these credits on to the projects or does AWS have a relationship/agreement with your org to treat each project as if it’s a nonprofit eligible for its own $2000 annual credit?

• Example: CfA hosts projects on Heroku, and we assume it does that based on in-kind credits it receives. But we have not been able to get a credit from Heroku directly, so we need to transition projects off CfA’s Heroku and onto a brigade level account, and pay for it.

Note after reading a post above where
Alana said, “We’re part of a pilot program at TechSoup that’s enabling fiscally sponsored groups to access TechSoup discounts via their umbrella org’s nonprofit status (which didn’t used to be possible).”
I assume this pilot is in progress. So I amend my question to say, is it possible to get AWS credits now under this new pilot.

Thanks in advance,

Bonnie Wolfe
Hack for LA

Slack for Nonprofits is directly managed by Slack and most groups have been able to use an MOU to obtain their discounted instance. The associated discount pages have been updated to reflect this. TechSoup has a pilot in which we participate that offers a very limited catalog for fiscally sponsored projects. Those are the only discounts that we support any groups in obtaining. We are not directly involved in supporting any other groups with software discounts.

Groups can change their full name and slug on OC at anytime. If their fundamental mission changes, the fiscal host (OCF) may need to reapprove the project.

Each vendor involved with TechSoup is responsible for determining what discounts they extend to the fiscally sponsored projects pilot and which ones they withhold. AWS credits do not appear in the limited catalog that I see available for fiscally sponsored projects.

Hi @openmike, who should we put as the OCF signatory to transfer funds? Is it the same for all collectives? Sorry, it’s probably somewhere obvious to you, but maybe I’m using the wrong search terms because I’ve looked a bunch of places without any luck.

Here’s the question I’m trying to answer on C4A’s “Brigade Status Declaration” form:
" 2. Point of contact / Individual with signing authority at your fiscal sponsor (Name and Email)"

This is a question that should now be directed to contact@opencollective.foundation if your collective is active.