Meet the 2021 National Advisory Council Candidates!

We are happy to announce the candidates for the Code for America National Advisory Council (NAC)!

Learn more about the role of NAC, and recent changes we’ve made to its structure

Important Dates

Candidate declaration period closed at 11:59 pm PST on Sunday, February 21, 2021

Voting opens on Monday, February 22, 2021

Voting closes at 11:59 pm PST on Sunday, March 21, 2021

The 2021 NAC class will be announced on Friday, March 26, 2021

In order to be eligible to vote in the 2021 NAC election, you must have filled out the Brigade Network Census this year (since January 1st, 2021). If you haven’t already filled out the census, you can do so here!

Cast your ballot here!

Meet the candidates! See each candidate’s full profile below, in replies to this post.

Northeast - Small Brigades

Jason Anton, Code for Baltimore

Micah Mutrux, Code for BTV

Michael Brown, Code for Buffalo

Southeast - Small Brigades

Froilán Irizarry Rivera, Code for Puerto Rico

Central - Large Brigades

Leslie Scott, KC Digital Drive (Code for KC)

Mohith Rao, OpenSTL

Mountains-Plains - Large Brigades

Patrick Collins, Code for Denver

Mountains-Plains - Small Brigades

Erik Dodge, Code for Nebraska

Pacific - Small Brigades

Annie Steenson, Code for San Jose

Cast your ballot here!

1 Like

Northeast Region - Small Brigades

Jason Anton, Code for Baltimore

Biography:

I am a full stack engineer and systems architect with over 12 years of experience building systems and leading teams. I have been the tech lead for Code for Baltimore for nearly 2 years.

The civic tech community is growing up, and I’ll help it continue to mature by…

Encouraging interoperability, promoting smaller more manageable reusable projects, and promoting development best practices and human centered design.

In 2021, all NAC seats are elected regionally, with two members representing each region. How will you represent and support all Brigades in your region? How will you collaborate with your NAC region counterpart?

Regional representation starts, for me, with listening. A hard lesson I’ve learned in my years of professional development is that engineers tend to look for a solution immediately. I will listen. I will listen and discuss with my NAC counterpart to seek options to problems and to promote good ideas. Each brigade is full of leaders. If elected to the NAC I would look to listen to those leaders and help connect the region with my counterpart.

What do you see as a key problem that the NAC should help the Network solve in the next year?

Assuming a vaccine gets widely distributed the NAC will be vital to supporting the brigades as they reemerge from COVID hibernation. Marketing, community outreach, event planning: all of this and more could prove overwhelming for smaller brigades or brigades that are operating in a more isolated way. The NAC could really help support these efforts. Even if we’re not physically coming together this year, many brigades may be looking to get back into a virtual groove. The NAC could help with that for sure.

How will you balance your work with your local Brigade with serving on the National Advisory Council?

My work encourages CfA work and I am given time during my work week to work on civic tech projects outside of my contract work. This helps balance my efforts substantially. Outside of the work day I find balance in a variety of ways. Some of it comes down to just keeping everything in perspective.

How can the NAC and the Network team support your efforts to make your brigade more diverse and inclusive? Can you speak to what work you’ve already done in this area?
CfA has already done a great job of setting the standard for inclusiveness and diversity through policies and cultivating a welcoming ecosystem. By our nature we’re very technical, which is great! That can, however, alienate certain segments of the population who may have ideas or unique perspectives, but lack the technical experience to even know that our brigades exist. The NAC and CfB could do more to offer less techy outreach solutions. This can be done by offering workshops and tutorials aimed at less technical folks. Focusing on human centered design and lowering the bar for entry would go a long way towards greater diversity in all CfA brigades.

Micah Mutrux, Code for BTV

Biography:

Hi, I’m Micah! I hail from northern VT with Code for BTV. I’ve been volunteering in civic tech for 10 years, have co-led our brigade for 4, and I’m passionate about making our work as effective as it can be. Got Q’s or A’s? We should chat: calendly.com/micah-mutrux/nac-chat

STABILIZING NEW & SMALL BRIGADES - The majority of America is made of small cities and the fastest way to reach them is with our existing small brigades in need of help. In the northeast roughly 2 out of 5 brigades are meeting less than once a month. In the recent Pol.is survey, 37% of respondents said their brigades had fewer than 10 active members.

This isn’t a simple task though. The circumstances that propel and suppress brigades are unique combinations – they can’t be explained by a single cause. But collectively we are quite experienced with the individual issues our brigades are facing.

One idea is to establish a brigade “Med Team” - an organizational body tasked with helping brigades overcome their issues. This team could cultivate a list of experienced leaders willing to provide 1-6 months of periodic coaching. The team then acts as case workers; learning the brigade’s issues, bringing in the right volunteers, and seeing the team through to an appropriate resolution.

In 2021, all NAC seats are elected regionally, with two members representing each region. How will you represent and support all Brigades in your region? How will you collaborate with your NAC region counterpart?

POST-PANDEMIC ROAD TRIPPING - This year our members have been interacting across brigades more than ever before as we are forced online by social distancing. Volunteers made new connections at Code for Pawnee, aka Brigade Congress. We’ve met new people from the CfA Brigade Network team and National Project teams as they have presented their work and spotlighted similar efforts by brigade members.

I’ve chatted with Thad Kerosky (the Northeast NAC rep) a little about taking some of that online socialization offline. Pandemic-permitting, we’d love to arrange an Amtrak fall foliage tour of New England and its brigades. And personally, I’d love to arrange a social weekend biking around western Connecticut/Massachusetts with anyone interested in joining in.

Hanging out in person is a double win: in addition to being just plain fun, it builds up relationships across city and state borders that are really the foundation for a lot of bigger, more aspirational ideas.

What do you see as a key problem that the NAC should help the Network solve in the next year?

LOCAL IMPLEMENTATION <=> NATIONAL IMPACT - I want to see the Brigades and Code for America collaborate more closely with each other. The thing that distinguishes us from other civic tech organizations is a partnership nobody else can claim: 95 local, grassroots brigades partnering with a national leader in civic tech. We are in a great position to create a two-way flow of proven solutions.

Imagine if your brigade could flag a successful project for reuse and CfA responded with the skill & support to make it redeployable within a matter of months. Or imagine if your brigade could receive work that was ready to adapt and deploy and was accompanied by playbooks and support staff dedicated to the successful dissemination of our civic tech.

We’re not positioned to pass work and knowledge back and forth between the brigades and CfA quite yet, but the spirit is in the air. With effort and trust, we can figure out how leverage the full potential of Code for America and our brigades.

How will you balance your work with your local Brigade with serving on the National Advisory Council?

PILOT PROJECTS & EXPERIMENTATION - I plan to pursue initiatives that simultaneously meet the needs of the NAC, my home brigade, and the brigade collective. In particular, I hope to focus on initiatives that strengthen small brigades, streamline project redeployments, connect volunteers across my region, and elevate the collaboration between Code for America our brigades.

I like trying new ideas that test what is possible, and running small pilot projects is a great way to do that. In the coming years I would like to run experiments with representative sets of brigades (most likely 2-5) and hope that Code for BTV will be a regular participant. In addition to cracking that old redeployment nut, I am also interested in how NAC and CfA can best support the diverse needs of a large (and growing) number of brigades. In particular, I want to explore how NAC’s efforts and CfA’s interests can best support brigades, without diluting their capacity to execute their own agendas.

How can the NAC and the Network team support your efforts to make your brigade more diverse and inclusive? Can you speak to what work you’ve already done in this area?

INCLUSION THROUGH PARTNERSHIPS - Inclusive partnerships are an important path to inclusive brigades. Code for America messaging to brigades has largely been to seek partnerships with government. But seeking the space between government partnerships can sometimes be a better way for brigades to champion diversity.

A beautiful thing about brigades is the ability to work with tiny community organizations and non-profits who are invisible at the national level, but are often the most effective challengers of local status quo. Brigades are well positioned to engage both government and the community, and bringing the two together is perhaps the very definition of inclusion.

As our brigade’s project delivery lead I’ve reached out to both sides. I’ve worked with our local Office of Economic Opportunity on behalf of low-income families navigating a digital literacy gap. And conversations with Girl Develop It! resulted in a $10k grant for bringing historically marginalized folks into tech.

Michael Brown, Code for Buffalo

Biography:

During college, I joined the Brigade Network as captain of Code for Buffalo in 2018. After graduating, I worked on GetWaterWiseBuffalo.org in local government as a 2019 CfA Community Fellow. I now work as a software engineer with local health and social services.

Helping smaller Brigades become more strategically impactful in their local communities. I’d like NAC to explore how we might support more Brigades interested in contract-based work with their local governments. As a former CfA Fellow, I’ll bring another perspective to NAC of how CfA programs like the Fellowship fit with Brigades. I’ll also facilitate shared learning opportunities from others across the Network who have faced similar challenges whether on project work, advocacy issues, or Brigade management. Finally, as a recent college student, I’d like to develop Brigade strategies for how to best engage with young members.

I’ll represent and support all Brigades in the Northeast by engaging in regular communication with the other leaders and by facilitating cross-Brigade collaboration. For NDoCH 2020, we had great success partnering with Syracuse and NYC to host a statewide event so on the NAC I would hope to support other Brigades in pursuing similar collaboration.

If elected to the NAC, I want to help smaller Brigades set good goals and action plans. Throughout my time in the Network, many Brigades including our own have expressed that they feel hindered by high turnover and issues with active member retention. This past Brigade Congress I co-led a discussion on how to get new members engaged which made me consider that perhaps membership growth isn’t the right priority for everyone at all times. Brigades might operate more sustainably by striking a balance between growing membership and making impact through projects or events, no matter the scale or size of the team involved. By setting their goals, Brigades can also feel more encouraged that they are moving in the right direction at a pace that’s right for them. NAC specifically might help smaller Brigades set these goals through workshops on logic models and impact measurement.

After recognizing my feelings of burnout throughout the pandemic, I decided to pass the baton of direct Brigade leadership to another core team member. I’ll still be involved with new projects and with our Brigade’s core team, but in a more support and advisory capacity.

NAC and the Network team can support these efforts by continuing to have a diverse team that uplifts underrepresented voices. One specific way they can provide support is by facilitating more Network-wide volunteer opportunities such as the recent GetYourRefund project that members can join and contribute to without necessarily having prior technical experience. Code for Buffalo has tried to improve our diversity and inclusion by partnering with and supporting local social, economic, and racial justice organizers and groups who know their communities and the challenges they face.

1 Like

Southeast Region - Small Brigades

Froilán Irizarry Rivera, Code for Puerto Rico

Biography:

I’m a software engineer from Puerto Rico living in Washington DC. For the last 7 years I’ve been working to help impact communities in PR through civic engagement and tech, bringing civic technologist from the diaspora and PR together.

working on two things:

1. bringing in the perspective of a fully virtual brigade that focuses on bringing together the Puerto Rican diaspora and those living on the archipielago.

2. working to establish a civic tech community in Puerto Rico where there would normally not exist.

I believe that establishing the needs of all of the region brigades is the only real way to represent and support them. Working with my counterpart to identify these needs will be crucial. Once identified creating a public project board, GitHub issues, or equivalent artifacts would help us collaborate in an asynchronous manner.

Identifying and documenting the needs of brigades is just the first step. Taking these artifacts and presenting them to the NAC to express the needs of the brigades in my region is the next step. Having these artifacts and making them available to all will also help us keep brigrades up to date and permit them to provide guidance and feedback to me and my counterpart.

The COVID-19 pandemic and natural disaster of the past years have established new realities. These new realities require that brigades work in a more asynchronous and remote maner. I believe that the NAC should help brigades and their members improve how they work and strengthen their communities in these new realities.

The Code for Puerto Rico core team has taken steps to ensure we can work in an asynchronous way. All of our work is placed in GitHub Issues to help us pick up TODOs. These issues are discussed and determined in a monthly meeting that the team has to determine priorities.

All of us in the core team have set aside 10 hours a month to get these tasks done. I will continue to follow this process if elected to the NAC. My team has also expressed that they are willing to take up some more work if I needed it to work on NAC priorities.

In the case of Puerto Rico the biggest diversity and inclusivity need comes in the way of accessibility. Being able to point to resources that can help teams to create more accessible projects is a major goal for the Code for PR core team.

Some of the steps that we’ve taken to improve the inclusivity and belonging in our brigade have been to interview and prop up individuals that are normally not seen. One example has been the Tecnicamente Civico podcast.

Another step has been to ensure that women, non-binary identifying individuals, and people of colour are part of our efforts core team.

1 Like

Central Region - Large Brigades

Leslie Scott, KC Digital Drive (Code for KC)

Biography:

Leslie Scott serves on her brigade’s core team and is the founder of Do More Good, a tech-based social enterprise serving nonprofits, and Re.Use.Full, a brigade project website that matches people with still-good stuff with nonprofits that could put it to good use.

Assisting with connecting our brigades to the nonprofit community in an intentional way, looking for ways to bring in more people of diverse skill sets–not just coders–to brigades, and helping to connect more people in the communities that are affected by the issues civic tech is trying to solve to training opportunities so they can get engaged in developing solutions.

It’s clear that the virtual environment enables people from outside our immediate area to engage with us. We have had people from Nashville and Oakland join our weekly hack nights, just to check us out. I would definitely want to see more people visiting our hack nights and take the time to visit other brigades’ meetings, too. I think we could only do more together. It would be interesting to host regional meetings so that we could learn from each other and also hear the needs of other brigades.

Recruiting and retaining members is a challenge for most brigades.

I predict NAC work will likely be relevant to my work on our core team. I will look for the synergies between the two and should easily be able to find time for these additional duties.

This is a longstanding challenge in our brigade. It might be helpful to create outreach tools that could be used to engage with community-based organizations helping people of color learn tech skills as well as student organizations at universities. While we don’t have any in our area, reaching out to HBCUs could be especially effective.

Mohith Rao, OpenSTL

Biography:

Hello! I am the captain of OpenSTL. I have been involved with our brigade and the overall CFA network for about 4 years now. By profession, I am a software developer so my role as captain exposed me to the civic side of the work that we do. That has been quite an learning exp

Helping bring the organizational structure and technology best practices so that the work done by communities can be scalable and provide a greater impact.

I will work with my NAC region counter part to host monthly region calls so that brigade leaders and members can discuss ideas and collaborate better. I also have ideas on smaller scale regional events that can bring not only brigades together but local partners as well. Virtually of course.

I think that there needs to be even more focus on aggregating common best practices and tools that aid in brigade success/growth and making them more accessible by documenting. (Greater than just the BOP) Also create resources if they don’t exist already.

Do what I already do, stick to my calendar.

Since we are rebuilding our member base after last year, there hasn’t been a deliberate effort to be more diverse. As an org, we come with open arms to anyone that wants to work with us on our projects. We also have zero tolerance for people that refuse to be inclusive without a concrete reason. One notable action we have taken in the past, is that we rebranded as OpenSTL from Code for St.Louis so that people interested in working with us don’t feel like they have to know how to code to work with us.

1 Like

Mountains-Plains Region - Large Brigades

Patrick Collins, Code for Denver

Biography:

I am an accomplished designer and strategist from Denver, co-organizer of the Code for Denver brigade, and a former State of Colorado employee.

Making sure it is more accessible to all, creating pathways into civic technology by any means possible, and committing to be radically inclusive. The In my view, the Code for America brigades, are at a critical mass and in the past few years the power of harnessing our collective efforts has started to pay off. A commitment to both opening the doors wider, focusing our strengths, acknowledging our weaknesses, and understanding our position in the movement are the keys to making the most of this moment.

Regionally the Mountain Plains (or Mountain West) region is one of the most diverse. We only have 4 large brigades, 2 of which are in the same state. And our small brigades are dispersed across a wide swath of the United States, each with their own priorities, capabilities, and momentum. In my view, the region will likely have to be consulted as individuals and a collective to understand all of the nuances at play. I hope to work with all brigades in our region to find our commonalities and also the uniqueness each bring to the table. I’ll work with my region counterpart as equals because the small brigades in our region output just as much, if not more, work than our large brigades and I believe that to get the most out of a regional team, we will have to be closely aligned and committed to representing our fellow members.

One problem that I think the NAC can help our brigades with is finding a way to share access to the regions contacts. Introductions of influential players in each of the region’s areas, building community by providing opportunity, and helping our army of volunteers be more effective by developing the relationships that are needed to get civic tech work started and shipped. I think the NAC can help with best practices but also direct outreach, and can hopefully leverage some of the connections that Code for America has in local communities as well, sharing those with our brigade leadership. I want to see more relationships built that turn into more projects started that creates products that help as many people as possible.

My work in my local brigade will be pulled back, through the help and support of my co-organizers. We are committed to being a voice in the NAC, and I have put forth a change in my duties that if I am elected, will relegate me to partner development and relationship management, with some design mentorship and contributions when I have the time. Code for Denver has a great leadership team that I’m so excited is supporting me in running for NAC.

I think that becoming more diverse and inclusive will only help serve the brigades, the civic tech movement, and our common causes. To that end I believe the NAC can help by sharing strategies and tactics to make brigades more open and inviting places for everyone, taking note of actions already in place around the country in our brigades and codifying them, and by offering continuing opportunities to learn about the hidden and systemic biases we must dismantle. Code for Denver has a lot of work to do to become the diverse and inclusive brigade we want to be, but we’re proud to have a diverse leadership team and to have created a number of ways for members to participate regardless of skill or technical knowledge. We offer a place for everyone who attends to help out, get started in civic tech, and join the movement.

1 Like

Mountains-Plains Region - Small Brigades

Erik Dodge, Code for Nebraska

Biography:

Hello, I’m Erik Dodge, one of the Code for Nebraska captains. I’m interested in growing our brigade, helping empower volunteers to have a positive experience and having a positive impact on members of our community.

advocating for projects that positively impact communities in need and looking for ways to facilitate replicating those efforts across the Code for America network.

I’ll do my best to stay in the loop of the region’s online discussions and concerns, as well as reach out to solicit input when it’s appropriate. I’ve been very impressed with all the people I’ve interacted with from the Code for America community. I’m looking forward to similar collaboration with our region’s large brigade representative.

As a new member of the Network, I’m sure I have a lot to learn about the Network’s needs. For my brigade, one key problem is developing relationships with local government and other local organizations, especially during the pandemic.

I’m hopeful that my work for the National Advisory Council will not conflict too much with my local brigade. If there are conflicts, my local brigade has many individuals capable of picking up the slack in my absence.

I think sharing any best practices or ways others have found success would be appreciated. Our brigade has included our stance supporting diversity and inclusiveness prominently on the brigade website and we aim to make everyone feel welcome in our meetings.

1 Like

Pacific Region - Small Brigades

Annie Steenson, Code for San Jose

Biography:

Full-time Software Engineer (SWE) by day. Brigade captain by night - going strong for 2.5 years. Have a BS in SWE with a minor in Leadership Studies & am a MS candidate in Applied Economics. I obsess over user experience and collaboration dynamics.

Running a brigade is not easy. It can take as much time (if not more) than a part-time or a full-time job and a lot of us do it on top of our day jobs - I know I do.

As a brigade captain, I have seen the highs and lows. I’ve tackled low turnout, low volunteer retention, building a core team, courting local government & establishing strategic partnerships.

No-code automation, volunteer coordination processes, and a restructured leadership team enabled CFSJ to grow to 121 weekly active members & partnerships with 8 other non-profits, 2 Stanford organizations, & 2 departments at the City of San Jose.

Being able to brainstorm with others and rely a core team to help you execute on operations is critical.

I’d help mature our community by creating a tight knit group of brigade leaders who are eager to share knowledge and share volunteer power. My ultimate goal would be to enable you to operate your brigade more efficiently and effectively.

I will try to ensure all brigades in my region are supported by trying to build a relationship with each brigade. Depending on the degree of overlapping issues, I would encourage folks to host workshops & knowledge sharing sessions. I would encourage more open dialogue by posting thought provoking questions via slack or discourse. I would enable each brigade to use the network as much as possible so they don’t have to jump every hurdle alone.

I will collaborate with my NAC counterpart by having recurring sync ups & strategic planning sessions.

A key problem I see is the lack of ongoing conversations about tried and true methods that developing or even established brigades can easily adopt. For instance, volunteer management is something almost all brigades have to tackle. Because solutions are not one size fit all, the network could provide more building blocks that brigades could mix and match.

I would rely heavily on the rest of the core team. CFSJ has a core team (“exec team”) of 14 directors and 11 project team leaders.

I have discussed this with my core team and they are supportive of my candidacy and are willing to fill in any gaps.

(S/O to CFSJ leadership team. It takes a village and you are the homies. Words cannot describe how appreciative I am of you!)

Diversity is a spectrum and can be measured on many dimensions (i.e. race, gender identity, sexual orientation, political ideology, socio-economic background, the list goes on…)

The brigades can play a critical role as grass roots organizations that work to not only innovate civic technology, but also unite our communities one conversation at a time.

NAC and the Network team can help us define general KPIs that brigades can use to take their diversity & inclusion temperature. NAC & the network team can also help brigades navigate controversial political events by providing resource guides and thought leadership.

CFSJ rewrote our mission statement and value statement in March of 2020. CFSJ has recently appointed a Director of Member Engagement who is focused on Inclusion and Diversity. CFSJ has also issued statements regarding BLM and AAPI hate violence.
CFSJ has made it known to our community that we do not stand for violence or hate.

2 Likes