Esri (ArcGIS) -- Does anyone use it?

Hey brigadeers,

Esri has been a good supporter of CfA events in the past, and I’d love to help them support your work as effectively as possible.

In case you are not familiar, Esri makes a powerful tool called ArcGIS which is a cloud-based geospatial data analysis product that is considered best-in-class.

arcgis

Governments use it to make GIS applications like City Council District finders. Using it could get your data analysis project off the ground in no time.

If you are interested in using ArcGIS (or another Esri product), please reach out to the team and me at inkinds@codeforamerica.org. Esri has previously offered their product for free for development use, so it’s likely that it would be free for your project too.

3 Likes

Thanks, Tom — it’s beyond my skill set at this stage but I may hit you up about this later.

@jess we have tools for developers, geographers and those that aspire. hit us up at cfa@esri.com or here if you ever have a question.

https://learn.arcgis.com

Wish I had not missed this earlier. If anyone has questions about implementation, hit me up. I’m a GIS Software Solution Developer and ESRI Business Partner in my day job. I’m pro-Esri for sure… although I’m careful not to push it during brigade-related work unless they are already going that route.

Code for Boston uses ESRI ArcGIS API for location with its Boston Alexa 311 App (see i.e. https://github.com/codeforboston/voiceapp311/blob/4cf4e6541549e6f0a65a9b0e7031ae0eaf7ff4f9/mycity/mycity/utilities/arcgis_utils.py). I think they’re using City of Boston’s license since Boston is going to own production on it.

I think CfB would mostly be interested in web based or OS agnostic ESRI tools, most of our members use Apple computers and cannot run ArcGIS desktop natively. Though might be worth trying a virtual machine if its available and would help with some advanced analysis.

Thanks for the info. Our City and County use it. I personally used it to learn GIS but typically use other resources for GIS tools. I’ll reach out and see if we can get access to some things to help with our Fellows project. Thanks @tom.

I’m a brigade captain (Burlington, VT) and in my day job an Esri Business Partner doing GIS consulting. The brigade does not use it really, but we haven’t done many mapping apps. I’m trying to push our now free access as a CfA brigade to ArcGIS Hub Premium to make better use of that resource and get some folks excited about using it.