Tweaking Discourse's trust parameters

@chris, @tdooner: We should probs lift the default limit of two URLs per post. very annoying.

You can turn that post into a wiki, @chris! Just select the bottom right option and then anyone can add to it.

+1 to that. Do you have permission to do it Carl or do you need one of us to?

Not an admin so no, don’t have ability on my end.

Ah okay, I just bumped it to 10. It also apparently only applies to new users.

Yeah, it does. But I think we should be more trusting IMHO.

@carlvlewis @tdooner I changed it so only trust level 1 was required to convert your own post into a wiki this morning

It’s not clear to me yet what people have to do right now to get from trust level 0 to trust level 1. I just found this page documenting it: https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924

It sounds pretty easy to get to level 1:

They can get to trust level 1 by…

• entering at least 5 topics
  • reading at least 30 posts
  • spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Admins can change these thresholds in…

• basic_requires_topic_entered
  • basic_requires_read_posts
  • basic_requires_time_spent_mins

But even with that it’s still a pretty bad experience for folks to signup, eager to contribute, and then not be able to.

Maybe we can make confirming your email address the threshold for getting to level 1 somehow?

I’m thinking it may be fine to leave the trust levels lower for this beginning pilot period as we get users on board. Then we crank it back up later, or once we start seeing negative effects like spam or whatnot. It shouldn’t be too big of a deal to catch since we’re actively monitoring the forums anyway.

I neglected to update here that I’ve since changed the default trust level for new users to 1 (from 0) and promoted all existing users to at least 1

Until we have a spam problem I’m more worried about people singing up ready to contribute something and then hitting a roadblock

2 Likes