Best practices for virtual public government meetings (Ensuring Access & transparency)

The state of Ohio just legalized the government bodies to hold virtual meetings in late March.

I’m looking for some best practices (technology and moreso, policy) to ensure that government meetings that are being held so that they are still accessible for people to attend (virtually).

(I even want to keep in mind what criteria should be used; in case a government body would decide to hold a meeting virtually instead of in-person because it can entrench the digital divide and remove access to those who already don’t have the internet.

I also mind that can public meetings are sometimes problematic in that those in attendance are sometimes those who have the most time available (retired and wealthier people) and may not be those most marginalized or affected by the things at the meetings.

A list of states and policy changes that they’ve made with virtual meetings related to COVID-19.

Thanks,
will in Cleveland

refs:
(Neighborhood Defenders: Participatory Politics and America’s Housing Crisis: by Katherine Levine Einstein, David M. Glick, Maxwell Palmer, pg. 80)

PS: I also want to cite and thank the BetaNYC group who did a wrote up of how they helped local community boards transition to Zoom to hold their public meetings https://beta.nyc/2020/03/26/virtual-meeting-support-for-community-boards/

1 Like

Just heard about Delaware, Ohio (near Columbus) and their “lessons so far” in doing online meetings. Was part of a presentation for the Durham NC IdeaLab, but probably covered via Bloomberg Philanthropy’s What Works Cities program.