Volunteering for code review

Hi Code for America Brigade, I work at Google and I’m running a pilot test of a new volunteer program as part of our annual volunteering month this June. I’m looking for a few volunteers who are interested in having Google engineers review pull requests on their Code for America Brigade projects. These can be public or private repos on GitHub, GitLab, or Bitbucket Cloud.

Please let me know if you’d be interested, and it’d be great if you could drop a link to your repos. We’ll be using a third-party platform PullRequest to assign Googlers to open PRs, and I’ll follow up with project owners directly with signup info.

Thanks!

Brian

1 Like

Hi Brian,

It sounds exciting. I look forward to mentioning it to the project leads at the Hack for LA - Downtown Los Angeles meetup next Tuesday (https://www.meetup.com/hackforla/events/grrkwqyzgbnc/).

In the meantime, can you share with us some details about this pilot volunteer program, possibly a link we can visit for more details? Are there goals set for the pilot?, How will success be measured?, etc.

Cheers,

Bonnie

1 Like

I should have specified that the pilot is specifically limited to volunteering for eligble 501c3 nonprofits (like Code for America) that have been approved through a third-party, Benevity. I’m not too familiar with how Code for America Brigade is structured—is Hack for LA maintained or managed by Code for America, or is it a Benevity-approved nonprofit?

I’ll create a Google doc with more info about my pilot test and will share it here this weekend, thanks.

Hey @bhrose, apologies for the lack of context here. All Brigades are nonprofits – most are considered programs of Code for America (in which case they are covered within our 501c3 designation) and a small handful have applied for nonprofit status of their own.

E.g. Hack for LA is covered by Code for America’s 501c3 designation. I’m not sure how the brigades are represented in Benevity though, my guess is that only Code for America would show up. In that case, it’s best to consider Hack for LA to be a part of Code for America.

Edit: (oh, and, the official list of Brigades is available at: c4a.me/brigades)

1 Like

Hi Bonnie, apologies for the delay. We just put up a new page with more info and a link to sign up for PullRequest with our GoogleServe referral code, and confirmed that this pilot program in June is open to all Code for America and Code for America Brigade projects. To sign up or learn more, please visit https://www.pullrequest.com/googleserve/

PullRequest is the code review as a service platform we’re using during the month of June to assign Google software engineers to the pull requests you’d like reviewed. After signing up, you should be able to connect your GitHub, GitLab, or Bitbucket Cloud account and specify which repos (public or private repos) you’d like reviewed by Googlers.

If you have questions about the PullRequest platform or how to get started, these docs should help walk you through the signup flow at https://docs.pullrequest.com/pullrequest-docs/

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting back to us. The links you provided were very helpful to our understanding of the scope of the project. Is there a deadline for when the signup must be completed by?

Thanks,
Bonnie

1 Like

Hi Bonnie,

If the Code for America Brigade is able to complete the signup process and successfully connect their repos in the next month (by Mon 6/3/19), that would be ideal. The earlier, the better though because it’ll help give us more time to start making assignments based on the projects’ needs and Googler volunteers’ skills.

Thanks,

Brian