Swag - new, existing, etc

What I would love to see is if CfA would publish some templates for the swag they have made that they care less about controlling… so maybe not for the track jackets, but for example, the “no one is coming…” t-shirt that was presented to Jen P. on stage at the summit. I realize that was a one-off, but there must be a template or image or something of that slogan/sticker/whatever saved on somebody’s computer somewhere. If CfA is not going to try to control that particular apparel then having a copy of what already exists for it would be great… because I can fake it, but getting the right color of blue, the right fonts, spacing size etc. etc. it would be nice if folks that decided to … like… make a home-made printer transfer t-shirt with the slogan, could have the same fonts, spacing, size, color as someone else buying a shirt like that from cafe press for themselves two states away. So - it provides consistency in the swag that does get home made when it is only sorta homemade… not rogue swag exactly, but hand-crafted official swag?

2 Likes

Concerning swag, I only have one burning need:

• A store where I can buy cool branded/designed things to reward/acknowledge our members, leaders and supporters

I’m not personally concerned about the cost because we usually would only make a handful of purchases per year. I’m not particularly interested in profits or where the money goes. The internet is filthy with companies that make this easy.

I’d love it if CfA would set up a storefront with graphics we could stick on anything and then buy 1 or 10 of them. I googled “custom logo products no minimum” and the first result is a place that offers things like:

I’d love to be able to buy our brigade captains beer steins emblazoned with the “Work on things that MATTER” logo. And it seems very achievable…

I just spotted this service: https://www.printful.com

No-minimum print+dropship on a variety of things with a variety of ecom integrations and a full api

1 Like

So what if… this was a way to raise money for the NAC and used the proceeds to help fund brigade travel and other activities? There are a bunch of online stores that are pretty easy to spinup and seems like there’s clear demand. It could even be an annual activity where there’s a design contest that culminates in brigade congress or something.

Also what about jumpsuits?

Image result for nasa sally ride

1 Like

I, for one, would absolutely wear a brigade jumpsuit

1 Like

OpenSavannah could make a minor killing off stickers.

1 Like

So one plan of attack to make this actionable:

1. Spint up a printful (or better print on demand) store
  2. Generate some embed code
  3. Have a bunch of little stores on local brigade websites, https://brigade.codeforamerica.org/ etc.
1 Like

I’ve got The No One is Coming in vector. Will tag you when i upload after dinner.

See: WIKI: CfA Brigade Network Assets/Styles

As some of you may have seen, Code for BTV member @Micah has started a “Zazzle” store to demonstrate a way to create the swag we want. The goal is not to make money… we just want an avenue to obtain one-off swag items that we give as thank-yous to our volunteers for special recognition. Other brigades may want to take a different route and try to sell t-shirts to make money. We think the margin would be pretty low and not worth the effort, but you do you. For now @Micah evaluated a number of online store-front options and chose Zazzle based on a combination of ease of use, diversity of items that could be branded, and low barrier to entry.

Our suggestion right now is one of two things:

1. Each brigade can spin-up their own store, and we can share designs amongst brigades so you can sell the same shirt from your own store… but you manage your store and the money associated.

2. CfA establishes a single store, and lets people contribute designs to that store. CfA keeps the money.

https://www.zazzle.com/store/codeforbtv/products

1 Like