It’s no secret that Cannabis is a growing business. It’s legal recreationally in 10 states and medically in about 33. Still, governments state to state all operate differently and what I have found is lack of Open Data and Civic Tech projects geared towards advocating for accessible and accountability in this space.
What are some ways Civic Engagement & Technology can impact Medical Marijuana? I am working on a project at Code for Miami to grow this area of Civic Tech which can push local leaders in different sectors to become more informed.
What I’m looking for is?
- Have any examples of open data work done in this space?
- What problems do you in your brigade or city find in this space?
- Who are some leaders I should reach out too or follow doing interesting work?
(Assumptions) What are some people being impacted and affected?
- Low-Income Populations lack tools to be informed and engaged with Marijuana laws locally.
- Business owners have to keep up with rapidly changing regulations at the state and local level.
- Government in some states and even cities are not opening up or tracking data related to Cannabis Dispensaries or other forms of business.