Code for America receives Landmark Investment to Transform America’s Safety Net

Hello Network members,

I’m excited to share what’s new at Code for America. One of the commitments we made in outlining our new vision for the Network is making sure you’re informed on what’s going on at Code for America. You can expect updates like this from us on a regular basis.

The most exciting news to share is that Code for America is the recipient of a $64 million investment from The Audacious Project to transform America’s social safety net! In total, we’ve secured $100 million in commitments and funding for this bold endeavor, spread out over the next seven years. Our first step to ensuring this vision becomes reality is launching our new Safety Net Innovation Lab. Our goal is to use this investment to partner with government agencies in 15 states to unlock $30 billion in benefits. Together, we’ll ensure 13 million people access food assistance, health care, and other basic needs. I gave a TED Talk about this at their recent conference in Vancouver, and we’ll make sure to share it with you when the recording is available. Until then, you can read about the landmark Audacious investment now—and let me know below if you or your Brigade has done similar work in this area!

As you might already know, Meredith Horowski, our former Senior Program Director of the Network, has stepped down from her role to hike the Appalachian Trail. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you all about how invaluable Meredith’s leadership has been to the Network over the past three and a half years. We’re so excited that she is pursuing this dream, and wishing her the best. With Meredith’s departure, Ben Treviño has stepped into the Interim Senior Program Director role. Ben’s experience and strong relationships in this community will make him an excellent steward of the Network while we undergo a full hiring process for the next Network Senior Program Director. In fact, the job listing is now up—so please share far and wide! Recruiting for new roles is a huge priority for us this year. Keep an eye on the open positions page to see if there’s a role you’d be interested in.

It’s truly a thrilling time to be a part of the Code for America community. We’re bringing in so many new voices and perspectives, securing big-deal partnerships to help break down barriers in government service delivery, and putting transformative ideas into action. I’m so glad we’re on this journey together.

Till next time,
Amanda

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed post! I was introduced to CfA by helping a personal client sign up for CalFresh. Being in and out of our Safety Net systems for 30-plus years I am aware of the obstacles and barriers along with the intimidation felt when applying for these services. This is why I am an Independent Representative for many individuals with Social Services and Social Security. Having someone to explain the process to others who don’t have tech knowledge gives them technical support. Being I have first-hand experience; an added moral support is a plus. I can have an individual get approval within a matter of a day, no more than three days because the key is to upload all documents with the initial application. When they come to my home, they are already in dire need of assistance due to a lack of resources and knowledge. I am elated to know we are branching out even further to our underserved communities. Appreciative as always @arenteria!

1 Like

Congrats on the investment! My nonprofit, PolicyEngine, has built an open source model of the tax and benefit system, including SNAP in most states. Please let me know if there’s any way we can help.

1 Like