Brigade Day Breakout: Community Agreements

For posting notes from the Brigade Day Breakout Session on Community Agreements!

1 Like

These were taken from Slack, posted by @mhorowski

• Please be respectful and generous with one another. No personal attacks

• Assume good intentions

• Be aware of the space you take up. If you’ve dominated discussion thus far, take a step back and let others share their perspective. If you haven’t contributed but have something to share, please do consider weighing in.

• Use “I statements” to center your own experiences and feelings, rather than presume others’ experiences.

• Frame your comments and questions in where we might go from here, as opposed to what’s already happened. “How might we…”; “What would it look like if we…” are good prompts to encourage more productive outcomes.

Some fit what we’ve discussed but seems like a good place to document them.

Identify pronouns:

Leaders can model behavior on pronouns by, when introducing everyone in a group setting, mentioning name and pronouns.

Example: “I’m Em, I live in Portland. My pronouns are they/them.”
Common pronouns are: he/him, she/hers and they/them
Someone may have different pronouns than the ones listed here.

Pronouns are not exclusive to in person events. When onboarding new members, you can ask for pronouns (in intake forms, for instance). You can have pronouns stickers for name badges. And you can model by putting your pronouns in: your slack profile, your twitter bio, any company bio or anywhere that might also include your bio or intro.

Background/reading: https://link.medium.com/KE5bBN545W

1 Like

This book was shared as good reading on the “discussion before perfection” agreement: Do Better Work: Finding Clarity, Camaraderie, and Progress in Work and Life

The first line in the description is maybe a better way to state this value:

Share before you’re ready

But I think our community agreement needs to be about not just doing that, but also actively creating an environment that welcomes and encourages others to

¿? "Love the questions themselves"
There is such a thing as “good awkward” sometimes. Accordingly, let questions linger. You can release the compulsion to answer them, or to have them answered immediately.

3️⃣ "Come by three times " – at Code for Boston we try to give new folks a way to gracefully opt out of joining a group on their first visit so they don’t take up group’s capacity with on-boarding. As a part of this, we encourage new members to expect to come at least three times in a row to contribute productively. That way, they’re less likely to weigh down forward progress unduly.

1 Like