NAC: Jill Bjers, Dawn McDougall, Chris Alfano, Jason Hibbets, Emma Burnett, Ramy Kim, Nina Kin, Janet Michaelis, Laura Biediger
CFA: Meredith Horowski, ST Mayer, Christopher Whitaker, Veronica Young, Tom Dooner,
- Upcoming Workshops: None on CfA Brigade calendar
- 2019 Calendar:
- ODD - March 2nd
- Summit - May 29-31 (Oakland)
- NDOCH - September 21st
- Brigade Congress - October 18-20th (Cleveland)
- GoAgile advisory committee in Philly, civic hackers and CIOs looking at upcoming projects w/ City procurement/tech/law to think about approaches
- Want case studies like GetCalFresh of agile approaches being put in practice in state/major city gov contexts
- On-boarding docs – feedback all in?
- NE HH – people came! Hoping to organize more of these
- People seem to like any type of contact
- Meredith welcome webinar seemed to go well, lots of good ideas
- Hoping to deputize more folks to help out more
- Had a great call with Meredith this week, welcome again!
- I would like to take another pass at the BAT framework with Tom; then host a webcast in early December to get feedback from the network. Ultimately, I’d like to get the emergency responder efforts as an official, cross-brigade project that people can join.
- I’ve been working with Ruthie (CfA) on a Brigade Congress recap. It’s 80% there, I need help to fill in a few gaps–I need a co-author to wrap it up this week so we can publish on Monday, Nov 19.
- Laura and I are need to circle back on Brigade election feedback with ST.
- Jill: Met with Meredith. Welcome.
- NC brigade gathering scheduled for Dec. 15
- South brigade call to be scheduled (late Nov. / early Dec.)
- Code for Durham: City & County staff attending meetup; well-attended Racial Inequities Meetup (potential to help City Racial Equity Task Force identify policies); I-Team requested help with driver’s license 90,000 dismissal forms
Brigade Team Focus
- Thanks for the great 1:1s this week, looking forward to more next week
- Don’t forget to read the MOU changes before the meeting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tKv4SJ2_CLbQtH37fNvwAQ9K2M3AHDCPeul9sgn7iWk/edit?ts=5bea12c2
Health Check-in (10 min)
- Everyone good?
What was successful this month?
- NE had a Happy Hour. Had 4-5 people. First one.
- Hackathon with community members with lived experience. She will create some output for us to read.
- South Brigades are getting together soon.
- Had 5 members of gov at the last meeting and they came on their own.
- Last night had 33 people attend, including public health employees
- Emma: had a well attendant meetup last night. With potential sponsors and new partnerships. Feeling like political scene is moving quickly with new Democratic Governor. Trying to look at state level impact.
- Janet: Election went well for future partnerships and impact.
- Nina: New project showed up at meeting with Justice advocacy related to homelessness.
- Chris: CIO kicked off initiative called Go Agile Steering Committee, seated with people from civic tech, CIOs with good round table meetings. Needs seem to align with some of CfA work.
- Jason: City of Raleigh with NC state hosted an event around Smart Cities. Found out about a new initiative that Raleigh can partnership with. NC Clear Path won NC OpenPass Datapalooza. Team has Durham and Asheville brigade members.
Do you need anything to increase your “health?”
- Jason needs help with Brigade Congress recap, looking for a co-author: Jill is primary, Dawn is secondary
- Dawn would like us all to look at onboarding doc.
- Chris would like to remind us all to pay attention to Discourse.
- Jason wants to do a brigade workshop about BATs: focused on Emergency Relief teams as official BAT.
New “Heads-Up” items (MH)
- 2019 Travel: mapping out potential travel. NAC participants will be Dawn, Nina and Jill.
- Census: Early in the process but is looking to get a better sense of what Brigades want/need. Laura would like to be involved and have an annual report with a picture of what the brigades are up to. Emma and Janet are also interested in helping.
- Webinar report out / next steps
- Had a webinar on Monday and got a chance to meet with lots of community members. Good facilitated conversation including plus & deltas, training and resources, and where to members want to see brigades in 10 years. Meredith is creating an output.
- Updated Brigade Website! (TD)
- Still fleshing out some resources but it’s awesome and looking to be a better resource for Brigade Leaders to find info.
- NAC page (!!!) It is live! Spread the word. Yay!
- Code of Conduct page
- (Soon) Financial Administration page
- Can always use more people to help user test this!
MOU Updates (ST/CW)
- Got input on the MOU from a couple of different opportunities to get feedback, including Brigade Congress.
- Refining the language around travel around Summit and Congress with financial aid process and broaden who gets to attend. Leading with value around affordability.
- 501c3 doesn’t disqualify a brigade from financial aid
- Language around Brigade census and its intend. A count allows us to create shared goals, measure diversity and inclusion.
- Members will be pinged three times (event registry, sign up on Meetup and voting in NAC election) to get participation.
- Expensify process will be simplified down to three brigade members. There can be exceptions but that would be the target numbers.
- They still require one signature but has space for two signatures. Include a list of core team members as contacts for CfA.
- Process: will be primarily the same but more specialized.
- December 1st will start sending out MOUs.
- The goal is to be signed by January.
- They will be one calendar year and always expire at the end of the year, no matter when a brigade joins.
- What are you looking to NAC for support on?
- Slack chatter around process and be Ambassadors.
- Help ping brigades that haven’t responded.
- Sign your MOUs as quickly as possible.
- Election Timeline - add to Slack. Starts early in the new year.
- Request of CfA to create a list of active brigade members to help us better reach out to inactive and encourage brigade members to run for NAC.
- Including us flagging brigade leaders that are non-responsive to NAC outreach.
- Other Items
- Opportunities to participate - create a new section in the notes for NAC members to have a list of things that they can take to their brigades to participate in.