[Deadline May 3] Join the Record Clearance Research Team

Background

Code for America has been focused on record clearance since 2016, led in large part by the Clear My Record program team at Code for America and by the many Brigades that developed their own local and state projects around record clearance.

What’s next for Clear My Record?

Currently, the Clear My Record team is working as part of a coalition to investigate possible expansion strategies. In order to expand thoughtfully, we need to produce a comprehensive analysis of the record clearance process across all fifty states, specifically identifying barriers to record clearance, starting with what fees are associated with record clearance in each state.

This represents an opportunity for the Brigade Network to find the best way to gather this information and inform future record clearance work both by Code for America and by Brigades in areas with particularly high burdens of fines and fees.

What is the Record Clearance Research Team?

To do this, we are hoping to try something new: creating a team of 3-5 Brigade members to work together in achieving this research goal across the entire country in the months of May and June. Here’s what you can expect:

• 20 hours of commitment total during the months of May and June to identify process and execute work of finding information on fees associated with record clearance in all 50 states.
  • An introductory session with the Clear My Record and Network teams providing background and diving deeper into the work.
  • Regular check-ins with the Clear My Record Team at Code for America to discuss progress and findings.
  • An in-person check-in at Summit.

Let us know by this Friday, May 3, if you are interested in being a part of this important work. Fill out this quick form to apply and tell us a little more about yourself and your interest.

Thanks for reading, and we look forward to having you on the team!

2 Likes

@tdooner can you put this response on the radar for someone on the CMR team: https://github.com/NateV/Expungement-Generator/issues/21#issuecomment-487699194

1 Like

I apologize for missing the deadline, but I’ve put my hat in the ring. The Tulsa Brigade is eager to implement Clear My Record in OK.

1 Like